Friday, September 7, 2012

Open Season yet?

The colors on the trees of Iowa is turning into red, orange, brown, in very few spots of the woods. The temperature is starting to drop, the daylight is starting to get shorter and shorter. The open season is about to begin later. I have been tracking for these whitetails through deer cameras, searching for scrapes, and enjoy viewing these monster bucks polishing the velvet off their antlers. It is about time to find a perfect tree stand to get these trophy deer. I want to find what I would call "natural funnels" where the trail is enclosed into a single line, because there are obstacles such as fallen trees, creeks, thick bushes, steep hills, that the whitetails would walk around instead. When they walk around these obstacles, my tree stand will be preserved at a blind corner where they will walk around towards me.
There's more to hunting than just getting deer, I see lots of things happening while i'm on the tree stand. I've seen coyotes attacking birds and snatching them away, i've seen squirrels riding on some does, it just amazes me how many things could possibly happen in just a plain vast forest. I also enjoy seeing birds with red dots on their heads that looks very similar to a cherry, and the fruit flies would try to get to the cherry, and before you know it, the bird snaps at them and poof! The flies are gone. I enjoy seeing them flocking away at sunset as well. I love watching the sunset while i'm on the treestands, the forest gets darker before the city does. As I walk out of the dark forest at night, the moonlight is like a streetlight with an exception that the light is blue/grayish color; you could see literally everything in the grassy fields, the crickets, grasshoppers, minks, mice, rabbits and some coyotes howling. The creek is flowing so quietly, the littlest noise you'd hear is the current changing, with a single tiny minnow darting across the crystal clear creek.
In the daytime it is actually suprisingly quiter than the nights in the neck of the woods. I would sometimes sleep and then wake up at an instant because I would hear leaves scruffling, but it's not the whitetails walking through, usually it's the squirrels flipping leaves over to find nuts. (They're so insane somedays I wonder if they lost a wedding ring in the leaf pile) Overall, the relaxation, excitement, patience, curiosity, and readiness always pays off when it comes to hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment